November 27, 2013
JJManning Auctioneers' auction property in Nashua, NH is featured as one of the Top Ten Real Estate Deals of the Week http://www.toptenrealestatedeals.com/homes/weekly-ten-best-home-deals/2013/11-26-2013/5/
For sale for the first time in 65 years, the Beaux Art Anderson House dates back to the turn of the 20th century. Built by Frank Anderson, shoe manufacturing giant, the three-story, 34-room home was originally sited in open land near a working farm. Anderson sold the house in 1925 to fellow shoe company executive Francis P. Murphy, who later would go on to serve as the first Republican Catholic governor of New Hampshire.
In 1947, the estate was purchased by the Sisters of Mercy, who built a rear addition for classrooms, dormitory and student cafeteria that became the Mount St. Mary Seminary, an all-girls Catholic high school that opened in 1949. The Seminary closed in 1992 after merging with Bishop Guertin High School. It then became a retirement home for elderly nuns. Though it had been a girls academy for many years, the students kept to the addition that was built for them and the mansion was only lightly used by the administrative nuns as an office, thereby retaining all the elegant Beaux Art details built by Anderson. Due to the nuns careful maintenance of the home, it is almost in original condition.
With 26,528square feet, the red brick mansion with its marble and slate accents and stately white columns is now situated on nine-tenths of an acre. Consisting of 34 rooms including a grand curving stairway, a large oval dining room, six fireplaces and a grand, rose colored ballroom on the third floor, it's easy to imagine it as the glamorous social hub it was in its day. For more information.
Frank E. Anderson House in Nashua, New Hampshire. Beaux arts classic estate over 26,000 square feet and 34 rooms. Previously listed at $2.3 million, selling absolute on December 12th.